In these situations, you need an official translation which is made by an authorized translator.
When you are confronted with a situation in which you need a legally valid translation of a specific document, you should turn to an authorized translator. An authorized translator certifies the document in such manner, that it is legally valid. This means that it has the same force as the original document.
An authorized translator translates official documents from one language to another. The most common situation is, that an individual is applying to a foreign school and the institution requires a legally valid certificate of previous studies in the language of the destination country. For that, not just any translation will do, but a stamp of an authorized translation is required on the paper. That confirms that the document is legally valid and identical to the original document.
An authorized translator is an individual, who has completed a separate degree, so not just any translator can make legally valid translations. Apart from school certificates, the services of an authorized translator might be needed in situations which have to do with court decisions, marriage certificates, inheritance and other similar kind of documents. However, it is recommendable to make sure beforehand if the situation requires the stamp of an authorized translator or not – it is not always needed.
Most of the legally valid translations are made for private individuals, legal offices and official authorities. These documents are usually confidential and deal with a legal process or a court decision which must be delivered, for one reason or another, to another country in the language of the receiving country.
Check availability of authorized translation
In these situations, you might need the services of an authorized translator:
- You are applying for a school abroad and the institution requires the previous certificates in the language of the destination country.
- You have gotten married with or divorced a foreign individual and the documents must be delivered to the home country of the other party
- Matters dealing with business operations between different countries (e.g. registering a company)
- Banking matters, such as account statements, from one country to another
- Inheritance matters between different countries
- Legal processes or court decisions between different countries
Do you need help? Contact us!!
do I request an authorized translation?
- Check with the receiver, if you need an authorized translation or if a normal translation is enough
- Check the availability of the language in question from the translation services, because authorized translations cannot be made in all languages
- If it is not possible to obtain an authorized translation in the language of the receiving country, ask the receiver if a normal translation with a stamp of the translation provider or an authorized translation in, for example, English is enough
- When sending a document to be translated, please note that it DOES NOT have to be the original copy (for security reasons Suomen Tulkkauspalvelu actually prefers not to receive originals)
- You can send a scanned document in an electronic form and the material provided must be of good quality, because it will be attached to the translation as a printed copy
- Translating a low-quality document is slower so it might also be more expensive for the client
- The price of an authorized translation depends on the target language, length of the document and the quality of the document, request an offer free of charge.
- If possible, it is recommendable to order the authorized translation in good time
- Pystymme kuitenkin tuottamaan auktorisoidut käännökset myös pikatoimituksena, jopa 24h:n sisällä tilauksen vahvistuksesta yleisimmillä kielillä (saattaa vaikuttaa hintaan)
- We deliver the translated documents in electronic form as well as in paper copies by postal mail.